On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ned Deily <n...@python.org> wrote:
> Just to be clear, pkg-config is not part of any Posix standard, AFAIK, so you
> cannot depend on it being available.

Understood.  However, if that is not employed what reasonable method
remains for implementing "Requires-External"?  The only thing I can
think of is to specify exact library or program names, like

Requires-External gcc
Requires-External libpng.so

and those could be found by searching the whole directory tree.  That
might even be efficient if updatedb/locate are available.  However
going that way, how would one determine version compatibility on a
library?  Doing it through the package manager may be possible, but it
is a multistep process:

1.  lookup libpng.so -> PATHPNG
2.  rpm -q --whatprovides $PATHPNG -> name of package
3.  analyze "name of package" for version information

Much easier one suspects to install pkg-config on systems which do not
yet have it than to completely reimplement it.

Does OS X have something which is equivalent to pkg-config, or is
there just no way to look up this sort of information on that OS?

Regards,

David Mathog