I hope it won't be obscure. But sometimes, you **need** to compile with the
same compiler even if you don't exploit specific compiler features. Namely for
"Bug Compatibility" reasons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_compatibility

When you work with low level libraries and tend to access hardware or driver
libraries (think GPUs, FPGAs, etc.) in many cases, compiling with GCC or CLANG
or whatever compiler has been used to compile the libraries you are using is
essential.
This is a very common issues when working on specific hardware or embedded
software. Compilers are not "perfect" they have bugs like any other pieces (I
know we tend to forget it). Sometimes we don't care, sometimes we do. And
actually now that Deep Learning and Machine learning is really a big thing.
"Bug Compatibility" is an important issue. Try compiling CUDA code with the
wrong compiler: I wish you good luck in your debugging :D

Jonathan

---- Le lun., 10 août 2020 00:07:54 -0700 Ronald Oussoren via Distutils-SIG
<distutils-sig@python.org> écrit ----

> On 9 Aug 2020, at 18:59, David Mathog <mailto:dmat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 8:15 PM Jonathan DEKHTIAR
> <mailto:cont...@jonathandekhtiar.eu> wrote:
>>
>> So do you plan on "managing" which version of GCC or g++ people have and
>> issue a warning if they don't have the good one?
>
> A setup.py will always be written for a particular compiler, or maybe
> it will handle a couple, but they never handle a "general compiler".

Except that almost all extensions written in C require a “general C compiler”,
not some version of GCC.

> That was why the example in spec
>
> Requires-External C
>
> never made sense.  It always should have been something like
>
> Requires-External gcc (>4.0)

Not unless you write code that uses features specific to GCC, and even then it
is questionable as there are several other compilers that implement a large
subset of GCC language extensions (at least icc and clang).

Ronald

—

Twitter / micro.blog: @ronaldoussoren
Blog: https://blog.ronaldoussoren.net/