On Sun, Aug 9, 2020, 3:28 PM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you requesting an implementation of autotools / autoconf / pkg-config
> / libtool in Python, in setuptools?
>
> Existing workarounds for building and distributing portable binaries:
>
> W/ shared library dependencies:
> - auditwheel & manylinux

"""
`auditwheel show`: shows external shared libraries that the wheel depends
on (beyond the libraries included in the manylinux policies), and checks
the extension modules for the use of versioned symbols that exceed the
manylinux ABI.

`auditwheel repair`: copies these external shared libraries into the wheel
itself, and automatically modifies the appropriate RPATH entries such that
these libraries will be picked up at runtime. This accomplishes a similar
result as if the libraries had been statically linked without requiring
changes to the build system. Packagers are advised that bundling, like
static linking, may implicate copyright concerns.
"""

https://github.com/pypa/auditwheel#overview

- package managers which support arbitrary binary packages in languages