My 2c;

The technical board has always done a stellar job of ensuring that good
ideas end up in the code base, and unfinished, unsupported, incomplete,
young, or non-reviewed code stays outside.
The quality of the core framework, and the ease of having 3rd party code
exist as Extensions, Plug-ins and Related Libraries means that the
technical board can be -1 on a request to add code to the core framework
without negatively impacting that code's future potential. It might be a
blow to the author(s) ego, but saying "No" isn't going to make the code any
harder for end users to find, install, review, debug, and it gives the code
more time to be improved. In the future, if the code demonstrates
stability, performance and user support, maybe it gets another chance to be
merged into core.
Django's quality is, in part, a direct result of saying "No" at the right
times.

No personal disrespect intended the the authors of the MSSQL backend
package (haven't seen it, haven't used it, probably never will given the
quality of other available backends) but after spending nearly 3 decades
developing with OSS DBs and MSSQL, at times teaching design and DBA, and
having to support MS server and DB systems, Microsoft's code teams (in my
opinion) haven't shown a commitment to high quality, peer reviewed code.
Microsoft's marketing, telemetry and legal teams however have shown a very
strong commitment to put their own interests above those of the users.
This may well be a reflection of (again, my opinion) the 'profit first,
image second, quality where possible (security if we get time or negative
PR requires it)' theme that permeates MS.

Code must stand on its own merits, and no code decision should be
influenced by the reputation of the author, either negatively or
positively, but having said that, if the technical board were to decide to
include the MSSQL backend in core, there would have to be a commitment to
review every single commit from that point on, specifically looking for the
ways MS will put pressure on the codebase to bend towards the MS goals, not
the Django goals. Where the goals are the same, that is fine. I remain
skeptical that the goals are the same.

Finally, I congratulate Warren for getting the code this far.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 at 05:30, Warren Chu <vwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There is increasing interest within Microsoft to have stronger ties
> between Microsoft SQL Server and Django. As you may be aware, Microsoft and
> their connectivity teams have been managing the 3rd party backend for
> "mssql-django" for over a year now at:
> https://github.com/microsoft/mssql-django
>
> Inclusion of SQL Server as a 1st party backend is viewed as a potential
> big milestone in that regard.
>
> @adamjohnson mentioned a year ago that ideally the community would like to
> see multiple years of ongoing Microsoft support before considering merging
> as a 1st party backend.
>
> We'd love to hear thoughts and feedback around the possibility of moving
> forward with a DEP enhancement proposal, with a commitment from Microsoft
> to providing continued dedicated support for the 1st party backend through
> the Django project itself (rather than the 3rd party repo).
>
> Cheers,
> Team Microsoft

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0c6ca059-d50e-4c84-bef6-ab0742fc4fa9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0c6ca059-d50e-4c84-bef6-ab0742fc4fa9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALzH9qvTRkK_Q%3DFMkhAhxQaUXgd%3D%3DCjW467%2BisZJyxKrHeR5Bw%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Rev... Warren Chu
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Warren Chu
    • ... Daryl
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Carlton Gibson