Hi,

IMO, Django is there to create value for *its* users.

I'm not aware how MS Team reached this conclusion that merging their incomplete
package into Django core creates more value for Django users than when it is a
third-party package. Would you please tell me how?

I have access to only two resources to calculate the popularity of mssql-django
package, one of them is the last Django Survey,

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2022/jan/03/django-developers-survey-2021-results/

and the other one is Github Stars. None of them show any sign that MS package
is even semi-popular among Django users.

We have many popular packages that are residing outside of Django core and
living happily their lives.

Probably MS wants to use this merge as a marketing point for their MSSQL, a
proprietary software.

At the end I, as a total outsider with no direct connection of any kind with
Django project, have nothing against merging MS package into core the same way
that we have Oracle backend. But before that, there are some questions that
need to addressed:

1. How can MS package create more value for Django users by getting merged into
main branch?

2. According to your internal spying tools, how popular is your package?

3. How can you guarantee the long-term sustainability of your package?

4. What are the previous involvements of MS Package contributors in Django?

5. How does MS support Django Project for its long-term fundraising goals?

6. Is MS Team ready to follow Django Project deadlines? Especially release
dates and critical bugs.

7. How does MS support Django Fellows in helping them triaging the tickets,
related to MS package.

Cheers, Salman

Am 31. März 2022 18:30:06 MESZ schrieb Warren Chu <vwar...@gmail.com>:
>Hi All,
>
>There is increasing interest within Microsoft to have stronger ties between
>Microsoft SQL Server and Django. As you may be aware, Microsoft and their
>connectivity teams have been managing the 3rd party backend for
>"mssql-django" for over a year now at:
>https://github.com/microsoft/mssql-django
>
>Inclusion of SQL Server as a 1st party backend is viewed as a potential big
>milestone in that regard.
>
>@adamjohnson mentioned a year ago that ideally the community would like to
>see multiple years of ongoing Microsoft support before considering merging
>as a 1st party backend.
>
>We'd love to hear thoughts and feedback around the possibility of moving
>forward with a DEP enhancement proposal, with a commitment from Microsoft
>to providing continued dedicated support for the 1st party backend through
>the Django project itself (rather than the 3rd party repo).
>
>Cheers,
>Team Microsoft
>
>--
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0c6ca059-d50e-4c84-bef6-ab0742fc4fa9n%40googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/253BA722-C6C2-453B-BCA0-24E0D4C4AD5D%40smoha.org.
  • Rev... Warren Chu
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Warren Chu
    • ... Daryl
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Carlton Gibson