http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/ref_urlencode.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

The URL percent encoding for '+' is '%2B'.

Norman, I understand how to mark variables as safe inside templates,
but the problem I am having is with the URL in your browser bar after
hitting a URL like '/djangoproject/search/hello+goodbye/' .

I capture the parameters like so: r'^djangoproject/search/(?P<test>[\w\
+]+)/$'

Then I use render_to_response("sometemplate.html", { ... }), which
should not rewrite the URL as far as I understand. However, the
browser address bar will show '/djangoproject/search/hello%2Bgoodbye/'
after hitting that page. I am not using a redirect, so I am not even
touching the URL. I am not sure why this is happening or how to
prevent it...