Karen, you were exactly right: APPEND_SLASH is the culprit here. If
you hit '/search/hotel+air/', the address stays that way. Hitting '/
search/hotel+air' though redirects you to '/search/hotel%2Bair/'

I am using '+' because it logically makes sense for what I am trying
to do. I am doing a travel search, and for packages it would be
something like '/search/hotel+air/'. You can append any number of
travel pieces in there like '/search/cruise+hotel+car+air/'. The order
of the pieces doesn't matter, because I split them on '+' when it gets
to the view.

Even if '+' is meant to be a space in URL-speak, it conveys the right
meaning for what I am trying to do. Is it possible to prevent
APPEND_SLASH from percent encoding URLs?