> The only criticism I have seen of lighttpd is that is has been a long
> time since last release and that it can leak memory. Don't know how
> valid that is, so I could be generating my own FUD here. :-)

Well. I was running it for more than a year without a restart at some
stage and I didn't notice any memory leaks. Since then I upgraded to a
newer version (because some modules I wanted to use just wouldn't work
for me, I added some extra ssl certificates, ip addresses and things)
and that's been running for weeks with no increase in memory usage, so
I'm pretty sure that if there are memory leaks it doesn't affect me.

I've been meaning to give nginx a go, but learning a new web server's
configuration language and tuning the config can take up a lot of
time. And why replace something that's not broken? I suspect it is the
darling at the moment because someone somewhere ran a benchmark on
some pointless do nothing / "hello world" page/file/app and squeezed
out a few more requests per second. Which (as you have stated
repeatedly elsewhere) is not going to make any noticeable difference
to a big, fat, slow python web app's performance.

Also, I don't think many people even heard of nginx a few years ago
when I made the decision to go with lighttpd..