On 20/01/2016 23:02, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I think that having a structure for contributors finding work and also
 finding any guidance they need is a great idea.

One individual whose sole function is to say: "Do this", and then
follows up weekly, to see how "this" is progressing, and sending help
that way, when needed.

"Do this" can be writing, copy-editing, proofreading, translating, line
editing, or maybe even plot editing the document.

"The document" can be an entire manual, a chapter, a sub-chapter, how-to
for something that ends up on the wiki, dead tree printed, and PDF.  In
future, that might expand to include the Presentation format, video, and
audio version.

When somebody sends an email saying "I'd like to help with the
documentation project". The first response is: "Which of the follow
skills do you have? Line editing, copy editing, blah, blah, blah." The
second response is: "Here is x document, go do blah", where blah is a
skill that the individual claimed.

If the new-volunteer claims no skills, then they are given a list of
books to study, so that they can learn the appropriate skills. If need
be, they are also given tests, to demonstrate how well they know the
appropriate skill.

No sending people to a wiki page to read, and decide what they would
like to do for the documentation project.
No waiting for people to ask for help in doing something.

> We need a way for that to be self-organizing without any kind of hiera
rchy or leadership roles.

You can either have a team that produces a new user manual every
quarter, or a team that meanders along, putting out one updated user
manual every three years.

The difference is whether each team member is specifically asked to
write/do something, or if things are left to each individual to step
forward.

> That needs to be used in an organic way, with everything operating by
consensus to the max.

For some things, you simply have to have one person say "This way, and
only this way". To do otherwise is to waste way too much time in
discussing, and maybe voting on otherwise trivial issues. 10th, 11th,
12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th edition of Chicago being a
prime example. I bring Chicago up, precisely because experienced editors
have their own favourite version, and, unless it made clear up front,
exactly which version to use, will either use their favourite version,
or, more commonly, try to persuade everybody to use that version,
instead of getting on with the task at hand.

> It may be that there is a bit more-than-usual process structure here f
or producing documentation on the Wiki and elsewhere.

The ideal is that the same source document can be used, with minimal
massaging, in the wiki, the F1 Help file, the dead tree manual, the ePub
manual, the PDF manual, the video script, the audio script, and where
ever else documentation needs to be found.

Right now, that isn't even hypothetically possible. However, if the
ground work is laid today, in five to seven years, that could be the
reality.

> The idea is to build communities that are consensus-focused in their
operation.

Writing documentation is not writing FanFic.
Parleying it into a paying gig is pretty much a non-starter.

>Formal deliberations must be on the dev@ list, not here on doc@, and
the binding votes are from the Project Management Committee members,

How many Project Management Committee members know the difference
between the 1oth, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th
edition of Chicago, well enough to be understand why one might not want
to go with the 19th edition?

Whilst fundamental to what the final work product looks like, it is
trivial, in that for publishing houses, which edition to use is the
first decision made by the senior editor, after they are hired. (This
applies as much to brand new startups, as it does to the Five Sisters.)

jonathon