The real reason the audio doesn't go all the way down has nothing to do with the switch. When the control is all the way down but the switch is not off, the wiper is perfectly aligned with the contact on the carbon. What causes it to still pass audio is the contact on the wafer has about a 1/16" of carbon between it and the wiper. This causes the resistance to be anywhere from 3 to 10 ohms, just enough to make it so you can still hear it. I have 5 TR7s and I disassembled the pot on each one and bent the outer contact on the wiper so it is out far enough to bypass that small resistance on the wafer. Thus on all of mine
the volume goes all the way down. Edwin Joe Pyles KC9LAD.