Warning: ignorant questions on the way...

I've gotten some questions from a couple of people about backing store with
DRI, on the R100 driver specifically.  Because my background isn't firmly
rooted in X-Windows, I wasn't really familiar with what that meant. :)  I
did a little searching, and I think I have a vauge idea now.

In any case, as near as I can tell, when the Radeon DRI driver gets loaded,
backing store is explicitly disabled.  Why is that?  Is it a hardware
limitation or is it "just" to conserve memory?  Something else?

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html