On Die, 2002-10-15 at 20:30, Ian Romanick wrote:
> Warning: ignorant questions on the way...
>
> I've gotten some questions from a couple of people about backing store with
> DRI, on the R100 driver specifically.  Because my background isn't firmly
> rooted in X-Windows, I wasn't really familiar with what that meant. :)  I
> did a little searching, and I think I have a vauge idea now.
>
> In any case, as near as I can tell, when the Radeon DRI driver gets loaded,
> backing store is explicitly disabled.  Why is that?  Is it a hardware
> limitation or is it "just" to conserve memory?  Something else?

I was going to guess something like 'because there can't be backing
store for direct rendered windows?', but are you actually sure about
this? I just started a server with DRI enabled and +bs, and both the log
and xdpyinfo indicated that backing store was enabled.

If you have more questions about backing store, you should probably post
to Xpert.