On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:31, Alex Deucher wrote:

> On a related note, I've been thinking about alternative ways to
> implement mergedfb on radeon hardware.  what if instead of creating a
> single framebuffer with two viewports, we stuck with the old style
> pScrn based multi-head code, but made each head a client of the DRI?

What do you mean by 'client of the DRI'? And how would this be 'merged'?
:)

> the 3D engine would be shared by each head.  This seems to be the way
> the 2D engine works in pScrn based multi-head now.

The difference is that the 2D engine is only used by the X server,
whereas the 3D engine is used by every 3D client, and the 3D driver
still assumes that the locations of the front, back and depth buffers
never change for a context. And that's just one of many problems with
Xinerama.

> would doing this potentially get around the issues with the scissor
> registers limiting us to 2048x2048 for 3D?

Sure, the limit is per screen.