--- Michel D�nzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:31, Alex Deucher wrote:
> >
> > On a related note, I've been thinking about alternative ways to
> > implement mergedfb on radeon hardware.  what if instead of creating
> > single framebuffer with two viewports, we stuck with the old style
> > pScrn based multi-head code, but made each head a client of the
> DRI?
>
> What do you mean by 'client of the DRI'? And how would this be
> 'merged'?
> :)

ummm... yeah... it wouldn't be merged.  it would just act similarly. ;)
by client I mean that each head would share access to the 3D engine,
like 3D applications do now.

> > the 3D engine would be shared by each head.  This seems to be the
> way
> > the 2D engine works in pScrn based multi-head now.
>
> The difference is that the 2D engine is only used by the X server,
> whereas the 3D engine is used by every 3D client, and the 3D driver
> still assumes that the locations of the front, back and depth buffers
> never change for a context. And that's just one of many problems with
> Xinerama.

good point.  I tend to think client/server by default since I'm used to
the 2D.  If we got HW accelerated indirect rendering working, then this
should work since everything would go through the X server right?

What about having independant front, back and depth buffers per head?