--- Ian Romanick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > --- Michel D�nzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>The difference is that the 2D engine is only used by the X server,
> >>whereas the 3D engine is used by every 3D client, and the 3D driver
> >>still assumes that the locations of the front, back and depth
> buffers
> >>never change for a context. And that's just one of many problems
> with
> >>Xinerama.
> >
> > good point.  I tend to think client/server by default since I'm
> used to
> > the 2D.  If we got HW accelerated indirect rendering working, then
> this
> > should work since everything would go through the X server right?
>
> Only if direct rendering was disabled.  If HW accelerated indirect
> rendering were working you'd just have another client trying to use
> the
> hardware. :)

To get hw accelerated indirect rendering It is my understanding that
GLcore would have to be adapted to decode GLX packets and send them to
the dri module rather than the SW renderer.  This doesn't seem too
complicated...at least in theory.  Can you give me an idea of how this
should work?

> > What about having independant front, back and depth buffers per
> head?
>
> That wouldn't solve the problem Michel is refering to.  If you have
> two
> separete back / depth buffers (one for each head), when a window is
> moved from one head to the other it's buffer locations would change.
> Right now DRI drivers can't handle that.

when the buffer locations change could this mean "change to the video
ram on a different card :)

> In the long term, this is something that needs to be fixed.  Ideally
> we'd like to have back / depth buffers allocated per-drawable
> (instead
> of having a single set allocated staticly).  Doing this would require
>
> that drivers support the back / depth buffers changing location.
> Each
> time a window was resized the back / depth buffers would have to
> resize,
> which could cause there location to change (think calling realloc()).

I'd like to get involved with this aspect of the 3D side.  Do you have
any pointers on where to start as far as planning how this should work.
 Or has no one even given this much though yet? ;)
Where should I start in the source tree?

Thanks,

Alex