I know how its defined, its just very wonky to put the property into a
profile and then activate the profile when you could have just set the
property true|false in the pom directly without the profile.

Mark

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Tim Donohue <tdono...@duraspace.org> wrote:
> Mark & all,
>
> We actually are using 'maven.test.skip' property. It's just that we default
> it to "true".
>
> So, running:
>
> mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=false
>
> will execute all our Unit Tests.
>
> If I recall correctly, I think we defaulted this property to 'true' (i.e.
> skip unit tests) because we didn't want people building DSpace from the
> source release (dspace-src-release-x.x.x) to need to remember to pass a flag
> to turn off the Unit Tests.  But, if there is a good reason to change this
> default setting, we could obviously do so.
>
> We would just need to make sure to change our build & install Documentation
> to recommend running 'mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=true', if you don't want
> to wait for all the Unit Tests to run.
>
> - Tim
>
> On 7/15/2011 2:31 PM, Mark Diggory wrote:
>>
>> Why are we not just using the property the way that the maven
>> community designed it? All this is just further convolution.
>>
>> mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=[true|false]
>>
>> Mark

>>> Well, that certainly beats copying a pile of test classes and
>>> resources N times.  I feared this was intended, since the framework
>>> used to be a module and then got tucked into dspace-api.

>>> I've played around with a small patch to the dspace-parent POM, to make
>>> testing dependent on the presence of a file (development.flag) instead
>>> of remembering to add -P \!skiptests all the time.  Useful?

>>> It probably comes down to binding to the process-test-resources phase
>>> some plugin that knows how to build our test environment.  I haven't
>>> yet worked out how people discover the existence of "plugin to do X".
>>> We could write one if there isn't anything that will do.  Maybe
>>> assembly is where to look, since it's concerned with copying lots of
>>> stuff around into places where you want it.
>>>
>>> Hmmm.  We need to do whatever 'mvn assembly:assembly' and/or 'ant
>>> fresh_install' do to turn the configuration files in dspace/config,
>>> dspace-api/src/main/resources, etc. into the target config directory
>>> tree, filtering dspace.cfg for the test environment instead of the
>>> target environment.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
>>> Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are
>>> smart.

Mark R. Diggory
@mire - www.atmire.com
2888 Loker Avenue East - Suite 305 - Carlsbad - CA - 92010
Esperantolaan 4 - Heverlee 3001 - Belgium