George,

We had a similar problem to this one in the past (a year or so ago).  I
just flat out blocked the IP altogether (not even specific to
/bitstream/) via this Apache configuration:

<Location />
     Order Allow,Deny

     Deny from {malicious ip}

     Allow from all
</Location>

This looks similar to your config though (except it blocks all access
from that IP).

- Tim

George Kozak wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am having a problem with an IP that keeps sending thousands of "GET
> /bitstream/..." requests for the same item.
>
> I have placed the following in my Apache.conf file:
>
> <Directory /bitstream/>
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> AllowOverride All
> Order allow,deny
> allow from all
> deny from {malicious ip}
> </Directory>
>
> I also placed the following in my server.xml in Tomcat:
> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
> deny="xxx\.xxx\.xxx\.xx" />
>
> However, this person still seems to be getting through.  My java
> process is running from 50%-80% CPU usage.  Does anyone have a good
> idea on how to shutout a malicious IP in DSpace?
>
> ***************************
> George Kozak
> Coordinator
> Web Development and Management
> Digital Media Group
> 501 Olin Library
> Cornell University
> 607-255-8924

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://www.ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648