Thanks, V. Alex:

I just wasn't sure if I was missing some loophole.  I think I have
another malicious harvester at work.  I blocked a second IP that was
showing up in my logs and now my CPU usage seems to be down (keeping
my fingers crossed).

(As an aside: I was asked today what I would do with my time if I
wasn't an Admin for Dspace ;-) )

At 02:51 PM 10/30/2007, V. Alex Brennen wrote:
>On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 14:32 -0400, George Kozak wrote:
>
> > However, this person still seems to be getting through.  My java
> > process is running from 50%-80% CPU usage.  Does anyone have a good
> > idea on how to shutout a malicious IP in DSpace?
>
>I believe your configuration changes should be sufficient to prevent
>access if you restarted/reloaded your daemons and did not have override
>restriction directives in place on higher level directories.
>
>On our Linux systems, we attempt to throttle such users with Apache's
>mod_cband.  Mark Diggory has created a "bot class" that we regularly add
>crawlers that do not respect our robots.txt directives to.
>
>For truly malevolent clients, I drop the route to their machine, or
>network, on our production system preventing us from sending the packets
>back to them that are necessary to create any connections:
>
>bash# route add -host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx reject
>bash# route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 reject
>
>You'd need to add such routing changes to the appropriate boot scripts
>for your Linux distribution to make them persistent.
>

>        - VAB
>-
>V. Alex Brennen          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>UNIX Systems Administrator
>MIT Libraries                x3-9327

George Kozak
Coordinator