Have you tried using the "pdffilter.largepdfs" and "pdffilter.skiponmemoryexception" parameters?

Turning on largepdfs will tell pdfbox to use a temporary file while processing the pdf instead of keeping it all in memory. It will use the standard java.io.tmpdir directory to store them in. In addition using skip memory exception will allow the process to just continue instead of blocking everything else.

Scott--