The Harvard METS toolkit gives you an convenient (though DOM-like) API
for the METS data model, takes care of some of the housekeeping, and
it has logic to prevent schema mistakes:

http://hul.harvard.edu/mets/

There's also a toolkit that helps you build a whole submission
package, including the METS. It ought to work with SWORD too; see:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_SIP_Toolkit

(If you develop any tricks or procedures for using it with SWORD,
please add them to that wiki page!)

  -- Larry