I'm still having a problem with this.  I've gone ahead and purchased and
configured SSL to work on the server.  I've made sure that the ssl certs are
in the java key store.  The ssl and mail server work perfectly with the rest
of the applications (all of which run on the same server but under apache).
Dspace runs on tomcat but uses the mod_jk connector to interact with
apache.  I've tried every configuration I can think of in my dspace.cfg mail
section.  The two main configurations that I think should work are also
detailed below.  My dspace version is 1.5.2  Despite all of this I continue
to receive the error below.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've been dealing with this
issue for a very long time and am under pressure to get it fixed.

Config1:
##### Email settings ######
# SMTP mail server
mail.server=domain.org

# SMTP mail server authentication username and password (if required)
mail.server.username = m...@domain.org
mail.server.password =password

# Pass extra settings to the Java mail library. Comma separated, equals sign
between
# the key and the value.
mail.extraproperties = mail.smtp.socketFactory.port=465, \
          mail.smtp.socketFactory.class=javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory, \
         mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback=false

mail.server.port = 465
#########################

Config2:
##### Email settings ######
# SMTP mail server
mail.server=domain.org

# SMTP mail server authentication username and password (if required)
mail.server.username = m...@domain.org
mail.server.password =password

mail.server.port = 465
#########################

Error:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
        javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed:
java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any
of the trust anchors
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:1462)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1260)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:297)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:156)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:105)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:168)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:98)
        at org.dspace.core.Email.send(Email.java:362)
        at
org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendEmail(AccountManager.java:296)
        at
org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendInfo(AccountManager.java:256)
        at
org.dspace.eperson.AccountManager.sendRegistrationInfo(AccountManager.java:101)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.RegisterServlet.processEnterEmail(RegisterServlet.java:287)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.RegisterServlet.doDSPost(RegisterServlet.java:202)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:147)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:105)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:769)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:698)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:891)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed:
java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any
of the trust anchors
  at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1611)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:187)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:181)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1035)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:124)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:516)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:454)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:884)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1112)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readDataRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:744)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:75)
        at com.sun.mail.util.TraceInputStream.read(TraceInputStream.java:97)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:237)
        at
com.sun.mail.util.LineInputStream.readLine(LineInputStream.java:75)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:1440)
        ... 32 more
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation
failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain
with any of the trust anchors
        at
sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:251)
        at
sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:234)
        at
sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:148)
        at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:218)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:126)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:209)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:249)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1014)
        ... 44 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not
chain with any of the trust anchors
        at
sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(PKIXCertPathValidator.java:195)
        at
java.security.cert.CertPathValidator.validate(CertPathValidator.java:250)
        at
sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doValidate(PKIXValidator.java:246)
        ... 51 more