On Jul 29, 2009, at 3:17 AM, dlake02 wrote:

> No offense taken ! I don't know DNS in the kind of detail required.
> My concern is the amount of network traffic DNS could take compared
> to that used on a properly configured IP routing protocol. Again, I
> know the latter well - not the former.

No worries, we all know what we know.  All I could teach about routing
protocols would fit into a story about RIPv1 and a routing loop taking
down an entire network once, many many years ago.  :-)

> Your comment on the 10.X.X.X range is interesting - whilst I would
> gladly sweep that away in an instance, I am concerned that there is
> a use that may break. Does anyone know what was in Icom's mind when
> they used that range ?

Of course, the range itself isn't the key... 10.x.x.x is a reserved
private IP range and used by lots of folks behind NAT.  What's
"interesting" about it is that -- I believe... in Japan, where JARL
runs the repeaters and Gateways that they've also built a 10.x.x.x
intranet between all of them... over here, we NAT straight out to the
public IP world.  I think they can manage their network from their
ID-1's over there, and connect to "other stuff" on the 10.x.x.x
network, but I can't be sure.  Just rumors I've heard.

I always HOPED that the whole point of registering a DNS entry and
having a 10.x.x.x network address was so that the system could route
that traffic from say, and ID-1 in Denver, and someone else's ID-1 in
another city.  But I don't think in the current configuration today
that it works, nor does it look like there's any plans to actually
accomplish it.

That sure LOOKS like what they were originally intending to tackle
though, considering the entire D-STAR product was the 1.2 GHz
repeaters/radios at first ONLY... then the VHF/UHF repeaters and
cheaper radios were released.  But you can see a lot of "stuff" was
originally intended for those running ID-1 rigs, and didn't translate
all that well over to the non-data-capable rigs.  (High speed data,
that is.)

These are all total guesses looking at the design in hindsight and
knowing the whole thing was designed for ID-1's and the 10 GHz links,
originally... then the Gateway and VHF/UHF came along, and are by far
the more commonly used "side" of D-STAR now.

--
Nate Duehr
n...@natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot