Hi!

On 07/20/10 21:56, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Dienstag, 20. Juli 2010, Ralph Glasstetter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just in case you missed that... the recognized file extensions can also be
>> changed without changing the source code by editing the filter/loadfilter
>> resource in the ~/.qt/dvbcut.sf.netrc file.
>>
> Yes, I know. But I would like to get it into the package.
>
> And btw. it's a problem that dvbcut store the default file filter info for
> the
> file dialogs in that config. These user-specific files don't get touched on
> package updates.

Good point.

> That's why the user never see if dvbcut supports new file
> formats.

Well, actually it still does support the same file formats even with
your patch. If you switch the file dialog to "all files," you'll also be
able to open MPEG files with a .xyz extension.

> And the user don't expect to delete some file he don't know about to
> get the latest changes in a application. In fact I don't know any other
> application which behaves this way.

It's not really a change in the application - and if there were a change
that affected the settings file, dvbcut would deal with that (we already
had a format change once and are prepared to do it again if necessary).

Actually, I consider this file filtering business by default highly
superfluous. I usually store all video files in a separate directory,
with the same extension, and I suspect that's what most people do.
Whether or not you have a filter doesn't matter much in that case -
you'll either see all files or none of them, and the latter case is
pretty useless anyway. Therefore, I'd rather make "all files" the default.

Comments? Objections?

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <mich...@mr511.de>