On Dienstag, 20. Juli 2010, Michael Riepe wrote:
> On 07/20/10 21:56, Danny Kukawka wrote:
[...]
> > That's why the user never see if dvbcut supports new file
> > formats.
>
> Well, actually it still does support the same file formats even with
> your patch. If you switch the file dialog to "all files," you'll also be
> able to open MPEG files with a .xyz extension.

Yes, I know.

> > And the user don't expect to delete some file he don't know about to
> > get the latest changes in a application. In fact I don't know any other
> > application which behaves this way.
>
> It's not really a change in the application - and if there were a change
> that affected the settings file, dvbcut would deal with that (we already
> had a format change once and are prepared to do it again if necessary).
>
> Actually, I consider this file filtering business by default highly
> superfluous. I usually store all video files in a separate directory,
> with the same extension, and I suspect that's what most people do.

Not sure if that's what the most ppl. do. Often I have e.g. such files in /tmp
and there are a lot of other files.

> Whether or not you have a filter doesn't matter much in that case -
> you'll either see all files or none of them, and the latter case is
> pretty useless anyway. Therefore, I'd rather make "all files" the default.
>
> Comments? Objections?

That's what other (QT) applications do: store default settings in a system
directory which isn't writable to the user (e.g. /usr/lib64/qt3/etc/settings/
which is linked at my machine to /etc/X11/) and save only the user changes to
the user file in ~/.qt/ That's what basically also the KDE applications do
(with different directories).

If dvbcut goes this way, it would be never a problem if there are any changes
in dvbcut.sf.netrc since this file get delivered with the package (don't
generate it from the code!) and can get simply overwritten in the update
case.

Danny