On 04/19/2013 07:31 PM, Michael Riepe wrote:

> On 04/19/13 01:59, Wolfgang Baron wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I started porting dvbcut from Qt3 to Qt4 on 2013-03-29, based on the
>> most current svn sources late at night in my free time using mercurial
>> for storing the history. My first aim was to port dvbcut to Qt4 and add
>> multiple source videos.
> Nice to hear that some people still have free time. Not so nice to hear
> that you're wasting it. Well, in my opinion, anyway.
Please explain. Of the zillion programs I used for editing DVB
recordings, DVBCut is by far the most productive, because I do not have
to demultiplex and remultiplex the material, editing is extremely fast
and producing the output is a breze. Why should I not give something
back, now that the functionality has become limited (Settings are not
saved (because Qt4 with q3compat does not do the job), the file dialogs
are stone aged and Qt3 and the versions of the used libraries will not
be here for much longer)? If there is some even better project I could
invest my time into, please tell me.

>> This is an overview of what I already did:
>> - apply qt3to4
>> - convert forms with uic3 -convert
>> - port issues not covered by qt3to4
>> - use current libavcodec, libavformat and libswscale from system packages
>> - remove the dependency of the q3support module
>>
>> Issues not covered by qt3to4 were:
>> - QImage::scale() -> QImage::scaled()
>> - implicit cast from std::string to QString
>> - implicit cast from QString to bool
>> - lots of changes in method names
>>
>> Things to consider using QtCreator:
>> - run setversion.sh to create version information
>>
>> The autoconf stuff and directories containing library code are not used.
>> I have
>> not yet created a new KDevelop4 project, because I do not have any
>> experience
>> with KDevelop. If anyone needs this, I will of course look into it. I would
>> also look into new autoconf support, if anyone can give a good reason for
>> doing so.
> Unlike others, an autoconf-based build environment will work on any
> system that has `make' and a decent shell. Is that reason good enough?
No. If you can compile a Qt program, you have qmake. The system
dependencies are handled by the Qt libraries. What does autoconf leave
me with except a bunch of overcomplicated #ifdefs? But don't get me
wrong. If anyone really needs it, I would maintain it, I just need a
real use case.
> You won't believe how much trouble I've already had with packages that
> use scons, cmake, or other evil^H^H^H^Hfancy stuff.
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. That's why I would reduce the number
of supported build systems as far as possible.
>> These will be my next steps:
>> - make sure it still runs on windows
>> - remove all deprecations and compiler warnings
>> - use models in all convenient places
>> - use QListViews instead of QListWidgets
>> - enable multiple input files
>> - provide translations
>> - find similar frames assistant
>> - etc.
>>
>> I sent a mail to Sven Over some time ago, but he has not answered yet.
>> If you like to see, what I have done in the dvbcut project, can please
>> anybody reply to my and tell me how to proceed?
> Maybe the best course of action would be to take over maintenance of the
> package, if you're really willing and able to spend so much time on it.
> Unfortunately, I can't give you write access to the repository, since
> I'm not its owner. Only Sven can do that, and he's abandoned the project
> years ago.
I would be willing to do that. However, I have no experience with
Sourceforge administration etc. So if you are willing to boot me into
that business just a little bit, I would make this a useful and modern
project again.
> On the other hand, you don't have to use the repository on sourceforge.
> You don't have to use subversion either. You could set up a new git or
> mercurial repository and work with that.
Are you talking about a completely new, forked project with a new name
etc. in case Sven will not answer at all? No problem. However, I would
prefer to talk to Sven about that before doing so. Does anyone know how
to reach him? The Address of the contact link on the
dvbcut.sourceforge.net homepage does not seem be helpful.

Cheers,

Wolfgang