On 04/20/2013 03:12 AM, Michael Riepe wrote:

>>> Nice to hear that some people still have free time. Not so nice to hear
>>> that you're wasting it. Well, in my opinion, anyway.
>> Please explain. Of the zillion programs I used for editing DVB
>> recordings, DVBCut is by far the most productive, because I do not have
>> to demultiplex and remultiplex the material, editing is extremely fast
>> and producing the output is a breze.
> Sure. I use dvbcut myself, you know. ;)
>
> But I'm also aware of the program's limitations. H.264 support, for
> example, requires that you rewrite virtually everything. The same goes
> for any other video format. So there is no HDTV, and probably never will be.
I already assessed, that in the long run, I may have to change virtually
everything, but hey, that's why software projects are so much fun, no?
The program does very well, what it does now and I am not afraid to move
my fingers to get in new features.
>> Why should I not give something
>> back, now that the functionality has become limited (Settings are not
>> saved (because Qt4 with q3compat does not do the job), the file dialogs
>> are stone aged and Qt3 and the versions of the used libraries will not
>> be here for much longer)? If there is some even better project I could
>> invest my time into, please tell me.
> I'm working on something, but I'm afraid my free time is more limited
> than yours. Gotta pay the bloody bills...
Well, I've got my own bills to pay :(, but I've spent too many years
just programming for money, so now I really want to start giving
something back, so I am open to where this project may lead in the end.

> [...]
>>> Unlike others, an autoconf-based build environment will work on any
>>> system that has `make' and a decent shell. Is that reason good enough?
>> No. If you can compile a Qt program, you have qmake. The system
>> dependencies are handled by the Qt libraries. What does autoconf leave
>> me with except a bunch of overcomplicated #ifdefs?
> More freedom, and the option to check for system characteristics Qt
> doesn't really care about, for example. But let's not waste our precious
> time with that discussion.
Exactly. If anyone really needs it, I will definately support it.
>>> Maybe the best course of action would be to take over maintenance of the
>>> package, if you're really willing and able to spend so much time on it.
>>> Unfortunately, I can't give you write access to the repository, since
>>> I'm not its owner. Only Sven can do that, and he's abandoned the project
>>> years ago.
>> I would be willing to do that. However, I have no experience with
>> Sourceforge administration etc. So if you are willing to boot me into
>> that business just a little bit, I would make this a useful and modern
>> project again.
> I'm not really a subversion expert either. I can check out, create a
> diff, check in, and that's about it. I'm using CVS a lot, but that's
> different.
>
> As far as sourceforge is concerned, I'm probably the last one you should
> ask for help. I don't use it for anything else.
No problem, we work as a team here and I have already been given helpful
hints.

> [second mail]
>> Oh yes, I forgot to ask. @Michael Riepe: Have you produced any code,
>> that might be integrated already?
> Nope. I've written about 800 KByte (~32000 lines) of code, but that's a
> separate project, not based on the dvbcut code. It will eventually serve
> the same purpose, but it does things in quite a different way, starting
> with the fact that the audio/video handling is completely independent
> from the GUI. In fact, there is no GUI at the moment. And before I start
> writing one, there are more important things to do, like getting the
> cutting logic right for video formats other than MPEG-2.
Well, that's great. If we cooperate a little, we will get our stuff
together in the long run. I know it's a lot of work, but as I said, I am
not afraid of that.

First, I will try to contact Sven using the help from Olaf Dietsche and
if Sven proves to be absolutely unreachable, I'll take over or fork.

Cheers,

Wolfgang