Hi Victor
I think it's more about whether or not the *published presence* on a website of
a 'leader board' encourages people to be more competitive (with all the bad
behaviours that competitiveness brings out in some people) and therefore leads
to bigger and nastier pileups as some folks have to beat the next guy no matter
what.

Personally I'm not sure that they do since a**holes behave true to type anyway.

Some people in this group have had Ham licences since Adam was a lad.  If you
listen to some of them around here you'd think that their licence was
personally signed by Queen Victoria.  I'm a relative newcomer only having been
on the air for 22 years but in that time it feels like pileups have become
bigger and more aggressive.  It feels like operating standards have fallen (cue
reprise of code vs no-code debate) and the amount of deliberate QRM has
increased - particularly in Europe.  Sometimes I'm really glad that there's 20
miles of water between England and mainland Europe so that at least I can
disown Europe.

How does the situation look from the other end of Europe?  Do you feel like the
bands have become like a combination of Fraggle Rock and the Chimps' Tea Party
at London Zoo?

Cheers
Dave SM/G0OIL