While I certainly concede that domestication means dependency, likening the
situation to women's liberation in society would mean, by extension, that we
shouldn't study women's role in society and their contributions.  Where would
this leave women's studies?

The session "Learning from the Animals" is a session offered under the
Environment and Technology section of the Society for the Study of Social
Problems.  Environmental sociology historically and presently leaves nonhumans
out of an analysis of the environment.  This session will be used to explore
ways academics bring nonhumans into the conversation in the classroom -
whether that conversation deals with the linkages of oppressions between
humans and animals, the ethics of factory farming or animal experimentation,
or the role of domestication.

Lisa Anne

Lisa Anne Zilney, Ph.D. Candidate
University of Tennessee, Sociology, 901 McClung Tower
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0490; (W) 865-974-6021

Live as if you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you were to live forever---Mahatma
Gandhi
Sometimes we use our minds not to discover facts but to hide them---Antonio Damasio