At 10:40 PM 10/5/2004, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote...
>Fred, I missed your first post, but have you checked the procedure for
>setting C22 on the Elecraft web site (www.elecraft.com).

Just a warning. That article is out of date, and hence inaccurate. With current
firmware it is not necessary to run CAL PLL on every band, just on 40 meters.

It's pretty hard to "zero beat" WWV in USB/LSB, since the AM carrier will
become inaudible when you're anywhere close. The lower range of human hearing
and bandwidth limitations get in the way.

This is what works for me: I find that tuning while bouncing between USB and
LSB (hold CW REV to do so without having to cycle through the other modes) and
matching the sound of the WWV marker tones works FB. When the tones match,
you're on frequency (at least within ~20 Hz, the VFO+BFO cumulative error).

Wayne introduced a method which might work quicker for actually setting C22 (
http://www.qsl.net/w3fpr/n6kr_method.htm ): If you're tuned to 10 MHz WWV, set
C22 so the difference between the VFO (TP1) and the BFO (TP2) is 10 MHz, run
CAL PLL then CAL FIL, and you're done. In my experience, you actually want the
VFO set about 10 Hz lower than theoretical.