Dave,

Yes, you can use that stereo cable - with some reservations, and as long as
you understand those reservations, things will be OK.

First thing is that if you use the external speaker jack, the ring contact
will be shorted to the sleeve, so only one channel (usually the left) will
work.  Secondly, if you use the mic input on the soundcard, 'strange things
can happen', so use the line input which has both left and right channels
connected and all will be well (except that the left channel will be the
only usable one - your soundcard controls and the Spectrogram 'Scan Input'
window is where you must make the selection of the proper channel).  Should
you encounter problems with the cable, you can always try plugging into the
headphone jack which has stereo connection output, but be aware that the
headphone jack has some high frequency rolloff which may show some lower
amplitudes at high frequencies that are not really present in the IF
passband display - not normally a problem on CW filters, but may be observed
in the SSB display.

73,
Don W3FPR