I have been building a collection of DDS receivers for this task, using boards from Elektor Electronics. They are RS232 controlled for frequency. They are good general coverage receivers, though I think they begin to tail off above 15 to 12M, as they use a 50MHz clock. It has been a real chore to put the parts together, as some are oddball (470KHz Murata ceramic resonators, for example). If anyone wants to build one, I recommend buying the board and parts kit for $100 from the Netherlands branch of Elektor, which is the most reliaable source.
Leigh.