I really like this approach, it is basically the approach I took to
determine sets of clear  frequencies to operate our SRI/WARF
OTH radar. Trying to essentially record the entire HF spectrum
produces datasets that are totally unmanageable with lots of
redundant and/or useless data.

Since what you are interested in is changes in noise level,
frequencies should be chosen to minimize the chance that
you are recording a signal. There are several algorithms
that might be used: first select frequencies in portions of
the spectrum known to be "normally" clear. This actually
might be enough as a first effort. An improvement on this
would be to search +,- an arbitrary number of kHz around
a "center" frequency and select the frequency with the
lowest noise level. I would think that you might want to sample
the spectrum every 2 MHz but that would be TBD.

A less expensive (perhaps) and less high tek approach would
be to pick up one of many strip chart recorders on the surplus
market and use it to record the AGC level out of the receiver.
The computer would control the frequency/time sequencing
of the receiver and turn on the recorder for several seconds
at each sample frequency. This of course would require lots
of manual data reduction...hey, I worked my way through school
doing just that!

Doug
W6JD