W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:
Kevin,

From the resistance readings on Q7 and Q8 you appear to have shorted final
transistors.  I'm not certain how it happened, they are quite hardy
transistors.

If you havn't already, repeat the resistance measurements with the heat sink
removed on the chance that you just have a short to the heat sink.  Then
remove the transistors to confirm that they are indeed shorted - the board
resistance readings should be restored to about normal if the finals are
indeed the problem.

The 'too high' RF voltage readings that you obtained at the transmit mixer,
buffer etc. are not a problem - that is the normal reaction of the K2 when
it does not sense output power, it just increases the level in an attempt to
boost the output higher.

You likely do not have a failing D9 - it just does not have any RF to
detect, but having an extra on hand is not a big deal.

The real challenge will be to determine why they failed - there may be
something in the KPA100 input that is not right, or you did not have the
base K2 heat sink in contact with the tabs of Q7 and Q8, or ??, just guesses
here - but excessive heat is normally the killer of solid state devices, the
question is 'how did it get so hot'.

73,
Don W3FPR

Thanks for the reply Don,

I sent the same mail to Elecraft and got pretty much the same reply.
I have no idea how they got smoked. I've never transmitted with the rig without the heat sink, as far as I know. It could be that the finals never made very good contact with the heatsink. Maybe Elecraft should consider a spacer of some sort to make sure the tabs of those transisitors are flat and parallel with the heatsink before they get soldered.

Aftre taking the hardware apart this morning and lloking closely, the shoulder washer on Q7 seems to have been overheated and melted slightly. It didn't want to come out of the tab.

How much lead length should you have on the top side of the board when Q7 and Q8 are installed correctly?

Thanks.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH

Reclaim Your Inbox!