If you do not have an **adjustable** current limited supply, do what I do on
the bench.

I have a 35 amp limited supply on the bench, and my 13.8 volt buss has jacks
that are direct, through a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor, and through a second 10
ohm in series with that.

I can get a really good idea if something is going to power up OK because I
can start with 20 ohms, move the tap to 10 ohms, and then add a jumper plug
to make it 5 ohms. My supply also is variable voltage, and although it only
goes down to 9 volts (and up to 18) that still helps.

Many things do not show with a resistance test, but a resistor limited test
will show problems with popping bigger transistors or foil traces.