I find it nice to be reminded of traditions and institutions that span the
centuries with such beauty and pageantry in spite of the foibles of us
individuals (in the Royal family and everywhere).

We Hams have such traditions too, but when someone wonders what a Wouff Hong
is I am afraid our traditions are being cast aside as irrelevant.

Our past is never irrelevant - as Hams or as citizens of the earth. Our past
is an arrow pointing to our future- an arrow whose flight is controlled by
our choices today; choices that presume we understand our past.

So what do we want our children, our grand children or our
great-grandchildren who choose to become Hams to inherent in this hobby?

I choose a tradition of mutual help, caring and respect for all Hams, even
the LIDs who haven't a clue what the rest of us are doing. With patience and
perseverance we will show them. Some will leave the hobby, and others will
carry on. They will carry it on and pass on our legacy.

And the lessons learned at the mic, at the key or at keyboard will stand
each one in good stead in all aspects of life.

I know this is true, because there are many Hams, now long gone, who helped
me as a youngster enjoy and respect my hobby and, in doing so, taught me
important lessons about living a joyful, useful life.

It's only in my mind, but I remember each of them will just as much solemn
respect, appreciation, joy and celebration as was publicly expressed at the
Royal wedding.

I know there are countless other Hams out there who know exactly what I
mean. I've had the privilege of having QSO's with some of them and sharing
our stories of appreciation and discovery.

(BTW: I loved the churchman who did cartwheels down the sanctuary aisle when
it was all over and he thought he was alone!)

73,

Ron AC7AC