Indeed.  Being just a tad more naive than Jim, a condition that persists
to this day, my first college job included sign-on in early AM as the
only employee in the studio of a small FM station.  I used a fairly
large and clunky RCA ribbon mic on a desk stand in front of the board.
Everyone has seen them in old movies and the like, sort of prismatic in
shape.  I made a number of airchecks of the sign-on litany and
discovered that if I closed way up on the mic and spoke softly, I could
turn a 17-yr old voice into something a couple of octaves below Vaughn
Monroe.  It would have been a very poor mic for ham radio.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org