I have boxes of those 5 1/4 diskettes plus a few 8 inchers.  Everything I
wrote in the '70s and most of what I wrote in the '80s is now unavailable
to me.  Just the musty printouts give me a trail of provenance.  Some of
the algorithms I created back then would still be of value but I cannot
get to them.  An acoustic analysis program I wrote to simulate the noise
pollution around a surface phosphate mine would be nice to have.  It was
fun to write within the confines we had then but the transition to C and
Pascal made life much simpler.  Variables with actual descriptive names
were a boon to getting the work done faster and the debugging went more
quickly in the new modular forms.  To this day I am influenced by the
integer variables in Fortran: i, j, k.  Forth forced me to think in
functional decomposition.  I do not miss the confines of 65 kB but it was
nice to know the wiring of the entire computer and how each bit of the
rudimentary OSes of the day fit together.  Getting to the I/O lines was
much easier then too.  Now to dig out my CP/M box and see if it still
boots from those 8 inch floppies :)
    73,
       Kevin.  KD5ONS