Don:

Well, since you put this out to public view, I will answer in public.
Please note my admonition to BE CAREFUL, and my suggestion to use a pin
vise, not a powered device. There is no need for a complicated set of
"rules of behavior" when common sense will do.

If you are so concerned about damaging the grommet, then please note
that the SHANK end of a fine circuit-board drill-bit is just as
effective as the stainless steel needle you recommend...it also will not
be wetted by the melted solder...and is probably infinitely more
available than a stainless needle.

The dominant part of my advice was to use solder braid early and often,
and that a fancy desoldering station is, in the main, unnecessary for
the casual repair of a circuit-board blunder. My suspicion is that most
people who do HB construction have the necessary tools at hand.

My opinion (since we are talking about personal opinions or choices) is
that anyone foolish enough to drill out a thru-plated hole probably
doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hammer on anyhow.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

--
Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420