I've used the spring type solder sucker for decades and it works well for
me.  A memorable event in my solder sucking career was the removal of the
main right angled multipin connector that had been soldered to the wrong
side of a part built K2 RF board.  The board was returned to its owner with
the same right angled connector soldered on the correct side, allowing
construction to continue and to the best of my knowledge, that K2 continues
in good health to this day.  That was also a mighty tribute to the quality
of PCB material that Elecraft specify.  Thanks, E.

I find that the application of sufficient heat holds the key to a good
"suck."  Sufficient heat is needed to melt the solder on the joint side,
through the PTH and on to melt any solder that's gone through to the
component side.  There's a fine dividing line between sufficient heat and a
barbecue, which boils down to experience, lots of practice and is often
blessed with a wee bit of luck.

I'm currently fitting a K6XX board (thanks, Ron) to a K1 and I didn't like
the location shown in the instructions.  By moving RP1 and R6 to the other
side of the front panel board, a large area is created for the K6XX.
There's always a "but" and in this case, it's the need to separate the front
panel PCB from the front panel itself to adjust the detector's audio pitch,
but then, it should only need doing once <<G>>

I have a full size Edsyn Soldapult but find it too big for most
requirements, however, Edsyn have a closeout offer on page 7 of their
clearance items for a PT509 tool at just $6.99.
http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=prodclear
<http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=prodclear&pg=7> &pg=7

There has to be a catch and it's a $25 minimum order, but if two or three
friends combine orders, together with a couple of spare tips on offer at
$1.50 each and maybe an "O" ring or two, that sum is all too easily
exceeded.

Don't expect Elecraft service from Edsyn.  I placed an (overseas) order with
them and had to chase it.  I tried telephoning, but my North of
England-tuned hearing couldn't understand what they were saying.  Suffice it
to say, the order eventually arrived and I was more than pleased with the
smaller device.

Chipquik has been mentiond before, but are worthy of another mention, as the
Company offer a free sample, which is not to be passed up.  Although they
focus on SMT technology, there's no reason it can't be used to aid removal
of a stubborn pin or two in a multipin device.  http://www.chipquik.com/

Much has been said lately about clearing plated through holes as part of a
re-work.  I find that feeding a bit more fresh solder into a PTH until it is
full and then using the solder sucker usually clears the hole extremely well
and requires no additional tools.  I find solder braid to be a waste of time
when clearing holes, but I do use it, after cleaning barbecued flux residue
away, to clear solder from flat surfaces, so pads are returned to flatness.
If you have a flux pen, run the pen tip over both sides of the unused wick
before use.  It helps it work even better.

73  Dave G3TJP