Jeremy,

I own a K2 and a KX1, and have some opinions; but I think there is no hard and fast answer.

The K2 is superb; its receiver is about as good as my Icom IC-7800; no joke. Yes there are a few conditions in which I prefer the Icom, but to me, that is an amazing feat given the price difference. My only suggestion that might improve the K2 receiver performance factor for me would be improving the noise blanker & noise reduction DSP somewhat.

When you say "as long as it can transmit" do you mean CW only? I assume so from your consideration of a KX1.

I have not had my KX1 long enough or used it enough under varying circumstance, but it is more portable and has some nifty features, and is easier on the battery, and I do really like it.

Perhaps you could share with us what rig you were disappointed by, and in what ways; since all solutions are compromises to some degree, it may help us better advise you.

73 de W5SV, Dave

Jeremy Cowgar wrote:

I am looking for a backpack rig (3-5 day backpacking trips). I know the KX1 is more portable but I am wondering specifically about the receiver performance between the two. Also in regards to the K2. I know the K2 is a better reciever but I'm coming from one disappointment. I purchased another rig that I was going to use as my backpacking rig but it's reciever is not that great and nothing I do makes it better. I may want the world, but I would like to have a decent receiver. On top of that, as long as it transmits and is decent on batteries, the other functionality is marginal on my list of priorities.

Thanks for any comments,

Jeremy
KB8LFA

--
David F. Reed  - W5SV -     cell: 512 585-1057