On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:13:13 -0400
 Jeremy Cowgar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am looking for a backpack rig (3-5 day backpacking trips). I know the KX1 is more portable but I am wondering specifically about the receiver performance between the two. Also in regards to the K2. I know the K2 is a better reciever but I'm coming from one disappointment. I purchased another rig that I was going to use as my backpacking rig but it's reciever is not that great and nothing I do makes it better. I may want the world, but I would like to have a decent receiver. On top of that, as long as it transmits and is decent on batteries, the other functionality is marginal on my list of priorities.

The KX1 is hard to beat for your need. The Rx is about as good as you're going to find in that size radio, it is light, and with the paddle and ATU, is really trail-ready. I've been powering mine with an 850 maH Li-polymer battery I got at the local RC Model shop that weighs an ounce to two. 12V for about 4W, and it easily lasts thru a Spartan Sprint. Actually, it lasted through a dozen or so QSO's while on a 15-day cruise through the Panama Canal this spring. My only complaint when using the KX1 in the S. Sprint is that at 1.5 hours, I kind of run out of people to work because everyone has gone to 80m.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw