My chief problem (which is not at all troublesome!) is with my fat
fingers. The front panel buttons are somewhat small, and if one is not
sure about whether a putative "push" has worked, one is likely to go
from "touch" to "hold."

Clearly, making the buttons and the front panel larger is an
inappropriate solution to this problem, although the button spacing on
the P3 is a bit easier to use...that extra millimeter or two makes quite
a difference.

I do much better with a mouse on a screen image. There has been, off and
on, some discussion of a screen GUI for the K2 & K3, though I haven't
seen any contributions to this thread for months. Utilities like FLDIGI
and FLRIG contain a few of the front panel functions such as volume,
power, etc. as well as frequency, and it would not be difficult to write
some parody of a complete interface, using the scripting language for
the K3.

I am not sure just how practical the result would be to use; there are
many functions on the front panel. It would probably be possible to use
the <shift> and <ctrl> keys to duplicate the touch/hold dichotomy of the
actual front panel.

Has anyone given substantial thought to this? It is tantamount to
designing a remote software control panel for the K3...

Please, no flames...I can already hear the screams of anguish from those
K3 users who do not want their box soiled by contact with a computer,
e.g. "why did you buy a K3 if you hate it so much?" [I don't hate my K3,
I love it.]

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

--