I just tried it with computer paper and I captured some crud from my
Navy Flameproof. And there was no oily mess to clean up either.  Maybe
you ought to send this one to QST Hints and Kinks.  I've been a CW ham
for over 50 years and never heard this one - or - somebody told me and I
was out to lunch.  Before discovering De-Oxit,  I would periodically buy
contact cleaner strips from various suppliers over the years.  In fact
just a couple years ago, Vibroplex even began to sell these strips.  Now
I can save some money to put toward another key ;) 73, Stan WB2LQF