Thanks for the info, Stan. The antenna I was using all day yesterday was a
Buddistick on 17 meters. I bypassed the tuner and had the SWR down to about
1.2-1.4:1. There was some fluctuation in the SWR outside of that, so I
re-tuned the antenna a few times. The SWR changing was mostly from the lay
of the counterpoise, but the feedpoint was set about 4" down in a bush (my
"support" HI) so that affected it a little as well.

Since the tuner was bypassed it wasn't trying to re-tune anything, but that
doesn't mean the SWR was always "good" - I re-tuned the antenna a few times
because of that.

I will try cleaning the contacts and see where that gets me. I don't have
any De-oxit but can get some in the next few days. I'll try the old paper
abrasive method (someone once showed me that for cleaning my Vibroplex
contacts - I use it for all my keys now).

Steve, KC8QVO