Steve, I had a problem that sounded a lot like yours - At Elecraft's
suggestion, I sprayed my KXPD3 with De-oxit and the problem with
"missing" initial dits totally disappeared.  I did not hae to
disassemble anything -- I just aimed and shot.

A few days later, I noticed that there was *still* an occasional
("random") delay (whether beginning with a dit or a dah) at the
beginning of a transmission.  I was operating at those times through a
remote SGC autocoupler but had failed to "BYPASS" the internal KX3 ATU.
Wayne suggested that my ATU was "touching up" the match automatically;
trying to match my autocoupler.  I went into the menu and bypassed the
ATU - problem solved.

There has been no reccurence of either of these issues since then.

  73, Stan WB2LQF
www.wb2lqf.com
K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244    KX1 #2411     KX3#0325     K9#1 (Cocoa
the Chihuahua)