Steve, I’ve had KXPD3 issues similar to those that you describe since I
got my KX3 2 ½ months ago.  Right out of the box I couldn’t seem to
adjust the paddles as tightly as I normally prefer.  The adjustment
screws have rather coarse threads and it seems like there’s only about a
quarter of a turn range between “too tight” and “too loose”, and when I
first adjusted it the way I normally use paddles I would randomly get
spontaneous contact which resulted in unwanted transmissions.  I finally
accepted the fact that I’d have to settle for a more course adjustment
and have now become accumstomed to that.  At least that stopped the
spontaneous dits.

I’ve also experienced random dropped dits, or sometimes a delayed
response to trying to send a dit, which actually causes various sending
errors depending upon the character I’m trying to send.  You know, with
iambic keying if I’m trying to interject a single dit between dahs and
that dit fails, the result is a continuous string of dahs, etc., etc.
I usually send at 25 -30 wpm.  I’ve never had a great fist, but some of
my recent sending with the KXPD3 has been downright embarrassing. So
I’ve been doing a lot of apologizing and repeating during qsos.

I discussed this with Wayne a few weeks ago and he suggested that I try
cleaning the contacts.  I took a close look under magnification and did
find that there was a small ding on one of the brass contact cylinders
right at the point where the screw tip makes contact (and it was the one
on the “dit” side where all of my problems have occurred).  I
disassembled the KXPD3, and rotated the brass cylinder to get the dinged
area away from the contact point.  I also cleaned the contact areas with
de-oxit as recommended by Wayne.

The cleaning and adjustment seemed to solve the dropped “dit” problem
(and I really think it was caused by the little "ding" rather than
surface oxidation), but I continue to occasionally experience the
delayed response thing.   That is I hit the dit side of the paddle and
there is a 1/3 or ½ second delay before it comes through.   That, of
course, breaks up my sending rhythm and results in more gibberish coming
from my fist.

I bought the KX3 for portable operation and certainly don’t expect the
KXPD3 to be anything like my Begali Magnetic Signature (which I believe
would be an unreasonable expectation).  As far as I'm concerned, the
advantage of having the KXPD3 attached to the transceiver more than
offsets the minor glitches I'm talking about, and I can live with them.
But I would be a much happier camper if I could get to the bottom of
this delayed response problem.

Don, N5LZ