OK a bit of explanation is in order.  The K2 (and K3 as well as the K1)
control power based on measuring the actual output power and adjusting
the drive to provide the requested power level.  That means a device
capable of measuring the RF output is necessary.
Well, that is the wattmeter in the KPA100 - it uses Schotky 1N5711
diodes because those have been chosen to provide the best response with
respect to frequency and power level.

Yes, those diodes are a bit "tender" with respect to static.  Those
diodes live right at the antenna terminals and are quite susceptible to
static charges.  The K2 (K3) power control system will give you the most
consistent power control (because it is a closed loop), but to operate,
it must be able to measure the output power. and the diodes that do that
task are susceptible to static discharges.

Yes, go out and find yourself some resistors between 22k and 100k and
connect them across your feedlines.

Note that I do not care about the path to (earth) ground - while that
may be nice, IMHO it will not help with the equipment damage from
antenna induced static charges.  Yes, the station should be connected to
earth ground, but for purposes of lightning protection rather than
static discharges from antennas.

There are 3 grounds in a ham station - AC safety ground (see NEC
requirements), Lightning safety grounding (see Ron Block's papers at
Polyphaser,.com) and RF ground.  The RF ground is the most elusive,
because it does not include any hard connection to mother earth.
"Ground" in this sense is a point of commonality, or a point where the
RF voltage is zero.  That condition occurs at the feedpoint of a
balanced antenna - the zero voltage point directly between the feedpoint
terminals.

OK, I am mixing a bit of the theoretical and the practical, but take to
heart, it is not hard.  When the wavefront moves from the feedline into
the antenna, the conditions change from conduction (obeying Kirchoff's
laws)  to radiation (obeying Maxwell's wave equations). Where the
transition point occurs is indeed a mystery.

That has nothing to do with the "ground question"..  Everything needs to
have a return path, and I believe that is valid for RF as well as for DC
conditions.  This is the Kirchoff stance,, but there are those who argue
than the Maxwellian equations offer a better explanation.  That  may be
true, but there is little difference.

My goal is not to "solve" this inconsistency, but just to add a bit more
information (OK, to justify my conclusions be they right or wrong).

73,
Don W3FPR