Paul,

I believe you may be trying to address too many issues at once. Take then one at a time. As far as the speaker goes, I suggest the safest solution is to re-wire the plug to a stereo plug using only the tip and the shell.

Look st the plug - if the plug does not have a ring on it, then it is not a stereo plug.

The speakers question does not have any direct relationship with the MMTTY input.

73,
Don W3FPR