On 12/6/2012 9:29 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Paul,

I believe you may be trying to address too many issues at once. Take
then one at a time.
As far as the speaker goes, I suggest the safest solution is to
re-wire the plug to a stereo plug using only the tip and the shell.

Look st the plug - if the plug does not have a ring on it, then it is
not a stereo plug.

The  speakers question does not have any direct relationship with the
MMTTY input.

73,
Don W3FPR

 Hi Don,

I provided too much info. I do not want to ever use an external speaker. I use stereo headphones 99% of the time, and for the few times I don't, I'll use the K3's stock speakers . . .

My concern was the warning in the manual errata saying that if one did use an external speaker with a mono plug, you could damage the right channel amplifier (unless you made the suggested menu changes.) The Line Out is labelled stereo, and like the eternal speaker one, it has the same triangle icon with an exclamation mark beside it. I was concerned that plugging a mono plug into it would risk the same potential danger as plugging a mono plug into the external speak jack. In a subsequent post, Joe W4TV, says the warnings do not apply to the Line Out because it contains current limiting resistors. That was the main reason for my question. I gave too much background and and lead in . . . I should have simply said:

Is it OK to use a mono plug in the stereo Line Out K3's jack? <G>

Now that I have an answer to that I'll go with the recommended K3 RX <--> PC TX and K3 <--> TX to PC RX (solving the exchange of audio)

    Next (and hopefully last question):

Can I use the RCA PTT IN jack on the back of the rig to key it for RTTY, PSK, JT65, etc.? I prefer FSK to AFSK and hence would rather use PTT instead of VOX.

73, Paul VE1DX