On 12/18/2012 06:17 PM, Ed Picha wrote:
> Has anyone found a wall wart they like for the KX3?  Like most hams, I
> have a big box of wall warts, and have tried several different 12 V
> adaptors with the KX3.  They all worked ok for general operation, but I
> noted that when I added the KXBC3 battery charger option to the KX3, I
> really needed an honest 13.8 V or higher to fully charge the internal
> batteries.  Most of the warts I tried had outputs less than 13V, and the
> few that I found that could supply 13.8 V under load had voltages above
> 15 V with no load.   I didn't want to take a chance with these by
> exceeding the KX3 upper voltage speceven for the short time that it
> would take for the adaptor voltage to drop.

I had great luck with an old Toshiba laptop's power supply, that I
bought cheaply at a surplus shop (Halted Electronics).

It was from a time before laptop power supplies became "smart", so
there's only 2 leads coming out of it: the DC power.  I cut off the old
Toshiba connector and just connected the bare wires to the supplied
Elecraft connector that also has bare wires, after testing it for
polarity.  The power supply gives a rock solid 15VDC, and it's rated up
to 3A.  My KX3 has no trouble at all when transmitting at the full 12W
power level.  However, I don't have the KXBC3 option, so don't know how
it performs with that.  The model number on it is Toshiba PA2450U.

It is small and lightweight.  It plugs into a 2-prong outlet, not a
3-prong, so I'm assuming it's not grounded.  The only problem is that it
might cause interference/noise.  However, I couldn't notice any.  Where
I'm at, there's a constant buzzing noise all over 40 meters, but the
noise blanker feature of the KX3 seems to solve that.  It's not caused
by this power supply, though: I unplugged it, but the noise remained.

Josh
K6JSH